International Law of the Sea Session 1
INSTRUCTOR: PROF. DR. PAPBLO FERRARA
Consider the International Law of the Sea in the context of Public International Law, recognizing its particularities, its autonomy and the links with other branches of law.
Project the basic knowledge of the subject to the legal, economic and political work of the state and the international community.
Deepen the knowledge of the relevant regulations in force as well as the values and interests that they protect. Understand and evaluate the characteristics of the international sphere with regard to the maritime regime in the relations between the subjects of international law. Analyze the application of the international law of the sea through the jurisprudence of different jurisdictional bodies.
- The general regulatory framework of the international law of the sea
- Historical evolution and characteristics of the international maritime regime.
- The current regulatory body and its interrelationships.
- Baselines, zones, limits, borders and claims: internal waters;
- territorial sea; narrow; archipelagos; contiguous zone; exclusive economic zone; Continental platform; high seas.
- Sovereignty over non-living and living natural resources
- The international law of development. From the new international economic order to the coexistence of states with different degrees of development in a globalized world. The notion of sustainable development.
- Non-living resources. resources in internal waters. Resources in Territorial Sea. Resources in archipelagic waters. Resources outside state jurisdiction. Exploration and exploitation of the maritime soil and subsoil.
- Living resources. control of the coastal state. Customs and the 1982 Convention in relation to living resources. Fisheries: administration and conservation. High Seas fisheries.
- Transboundary resources and shared resources.
III. Scientific research and other research methods
- General principles.
- Relevant factors for a common policy.
- Decisions: access, regulation and application.
*Learning materials: Publications (online PDF files) will be provided*